The Australian Senate today passed a Greens’ motion recognising that the ongoing rate of removal of Aboriginal children from their families in NSW risks creating another Stolen Generations. See motions below or click here for Greens & GMAR media release!
1 October 2014
NOTICE OF MOTION
I give notice that on the next day of sitting I shall move that –
- Notes that:
- a) New South Wales children from Aboriginal communities are being removed from their families at an unprecedented rate with more than 6,000 Aboriginal children, representing about one in 10 Aboriginal children, in out-of-home care in New South Wales;
- b) Grandmothers Against Removal, based in Gunnedah, was formed to highlight the process of removal used by the New South Wales Department of Children’s Services;
- c) Aboriginal children were forcibly removed from their home on 15 January 2014 in Moree by Community Services workers and police from the Operational Support Group, who handcuffed the children’s parents;
- d) These Aboriginal children have been subsequently returned to their family home;
- e) The NSW government has failed to release film footage taken by the Operational Support Group inside the home of the children forcibly removed in Moree.
- Recognises that we all must do all in our power to stop the development of a new Stolen Generation.